Monday, April 21, 2008

Amish Chair

This is my Amish Chair.
Posted by Picasa
This is a side view.
We were in Ohio around 2000-2001 and my sister in law, Lori was giving us a tour of the Amish community. It was a beautiful area. There was corn field after corn field, everything was so green and lush. We had a wonderful day. As we traveled along the country roads we would pass some Amish people riding in their wagons pulled by horses. It was really neat to see their horses and buggies parked beside cars in the parking lots at the bank or other stores in the little towns. As we passed Amish homes they had their homemade baskets and quilts out along side the road for sale. We stopped to buy a basket. As we talked to the man of the house, Lori picked out a basket. We were paying him for it up on his front porch when I spotted this chair. Lori asked him if it was for sale? He said not really but he guessed he could sell it. He use to make and sell a lot of them but he found that it was easier for the bus loads of tourist to buy and take home baskets than it was a big wooden chair. We were in a truck so it was no big deal for us. So he sold it to me for $45.00. Lori's basket was $35 or $40.00, I've always felt like I got the better deal! It is so well made, solid wood and sanded smooth and sits so comfortable. It even folds up for storage. I wish I had about 3 more.

8 comments:

Sandman said...

I love that chair, and it's very comfortable.

Nate Judd said...

I wish I had old timey skills, I think I was born a decade too late :) I love those little burp rags, so cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi, we saw lot of chairs and beautiful things in Amish country. The girls rode in a wagon which was pulled by an Amish man and he answered all their questions. They have beautiful farms and everything is so clean. Aunt Betsy

Amanda said...

You should try to get back up there and get you another one to match. When you do, call me. I'll go get one, too.

Elizabeth said...

I would love to see an amish community. That would be really cool. i love your chair too, but is it really comfy???

gigi said...

Yes, it really is a comfortable sitting chair.

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

When I was on my mission there were lots of Amish communities nearby. In one of my areas (McMinnville) the Relief Society President's house was built by the Amish. It was very big and beautiful, yet simple. I really admire their simplified way of life and I know I should be more like them!

The Cinderella Life said...

I love all things Amish. Great chair. You definately got the better deal. Your sons are very handsome. Your burp rags are very creative and pretty. You clever girl.