Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Burned!

Look real close at my arm lighting the birthday candles. Can you see it? The faint red mark. That is where I burned my arm cooking the lovely birthday dinner for Christon last week. Doesn't look bad does it? Now look at the next picture.
Hurt badly. My point to all this is I can't seem to cook any more with out burning myself or cutting myself. I cut my finger and thumb last week and my finger this week. Remember that wonderful recipe for Apple Dumplings that I shared with yall? Well I was giving the sisters in R/S a demonstration on how to make those. I melted the butter slowly by turning on the wrong burner and instead of it coming on under the pot it came on over the handle. Not knowing, I picked up the handle and burned my palm really bad. While I stood there with a hand full of ice, Amanda came up and finished the demonstration as I told her what to do next. Thanks again Amanda. How's that for a cooking instructor teaching how to burn your whole palm. Maybe it's time to quit cooking! What ya think?

7 comments:

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

If you pay me well, I will come and be your cook. I will need my own private entrance and bathroom. I will also need access to the oldest Griffis boy who I know you have chained up in the basement somewhere. Harrison is actually #2, isn't he? The oldest is just so handsome that you keep him locked up so you can look at him any time you want!

Amanda said...

What exactly do you think is wrong with Aramie? HILARIOUS!

Poor you. I can't believe you hurt yourself again. Harry must just be beside himself. I think take out is always the answer.

Elizabeth said...

Oh goodness. I'm sorry you burned yourself, several times!! That just stinks!!! Hope it heals fast and hope your hand is already better! Be careful Gigi!!!! Next thing you know they'll have you in a home!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL Just kidding!

Aramie Judd Christopherson said...

No Gigi, I'm terrified of alligators but not tractors. Now this is the truth- since I was 12 years old all of my nightmares have been about alligators. I am always either standing on rocks looking down into water that is teeming with them, or I am swimming in pitch black water and even though I can't see them I know they are all around me! It all started with girls camp. I'm afraid of alligators and I refuse to swim in natural bodies of water.

TheDaleys said...

I have suffered many a cut in the kitchen. When I worked at Honeybaked Ham Co. I did it so often I brought in my own box of bandaids. Luckily I never had any critical run-ins with the industrial sized meat slicer. Thank goodness.

gigi said...

Aramie, if I had a basement I might think about having you as my chef. Sorry about not having an older son. About the alligators, I really didn't have any idea that so many people were so scared of them? Christon and Jordan both have that same real fear. I've been planning on taking the girls to the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine and Christon is having a very hard time giving me permission. I think that she thinks they must feed one little tourist a day to the aligators. I just want the girls to not grow up with her same fears. I think that they would love it. Did you go to girls camp at camp Olena? I don't blame you about not wanting to swim in that brackish water. When we swam in there we had to watch for snakes. My dad was one of the life guards there when all of us Crenshaw girls were going to camp. I think that he even took Barney's friend Chris one year when he was 8 or 9 years old.

Amanda, I think that slave drivin husband of mine just rolls his eyes and wants his dinner cooked. I've been cooking so slow in the kitchen this evening. He asked me when I started in there what I was cooking? I told him I was cooking him a hamburger steak. An hour and a half later he asked me If I was butchering the cow? How long did it take to make a hamburger steak? I was really chopping 2 huge onions and saute them with 2 each of red, yellow and orange bell peppers as a topping. I've cut myself so many times lately that I was chopping things really careful. (I'm laughing at myself as I try and type this. I should have just made a regular post out of it.) Oh well, I warmed up your recipe of chicken and broccoli leftover's and also gave him that and a salad.

And Elizabeth, a home doesn't sound to bad. I think that they feed you there and you don't have to cook. So no risk in burning myself while living there!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I was life guard at Girls camp for 9 years. I started when Gigi was 12 in her first year.
They needed someone so I volunteered and I kept going until the last of my 4 daughters finished. And yes Sandy went as my assistant one or two years. I gave up a week of my vacation to be with my girls.

Now speaking of alligators, here's a neat story. One day while the girls were swimming I was up on the highdive watching them all swim and have a good time. I noticed something floating down the down the river toward our swimming area. Not wanting to alarm the girls I blew my whistle and said every one out, swimming is over for this period. The girls fussed about it but got out and went back to their cabins. Mean while I watched the 4 to 5 ft. gator just float on by with the current on down the river. I never told them about it or they would never have gone back swimming in that river.

After 2 or 3 years, another brother, Larry Hudgins joined me as a life guard. Some of you girls that have been to girls camp know at the end of the week there are awards given out. So Bro. Hudgins and I created the "Life Guards Award" and named it "The Stump Award". It became one of the favorites and it was given to one of the adult that we thought was the one we thought had inspired the girls the most during girls camp. Through the years it got to be quite competative and oh my, the tears would flow when the winner was announced.

The first one we made was a cypress stump sawed off and nailed to a board but over the years they got more elaberate and were kept in special places in their homes we learned later.
I have a lot of special memories of serving as life guard for LDS Girls Camp.

Barney's friend Chris' Dad
(papa)