Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Shoot Out

Friday Shoot Out

This weeks theme by Mary

INCONGRUOUS:

Meaning: Out of place, ridiculous,

inconsistent, contradictory.

This is one crazy place.

Nothing about it goes together.

Hot Dogs and Pawn shop?

Gold, Guns and tools?

Bait and tackle.

Garage and buildings.

They just do a little bit of everything.


As you ride around looking at the sights of St. Simons Island you never know what or who you may find.


Nothing to unusual.

Maybe you'll see some crazy fungi
growing just randomly on a tree.

Do you ever feel as if someone is watching you?
Be sure to look carefully.
A little closer.
If you can see faces in the clouds
you should be able to see faces in the trees.




If you are up for a little adventure out of the ordinary, try searching for a tree spirit.
That’s right, surrounding the history of St. Simons Island lies a folklore legend; the St. Simons Island tree spirits.
A local sculptor Keith Jennings, etched saddening faces into the trees in order to immortalize sailors who lost their lives at sea as well as several Indian faces.

I only found two faces.
I've been told of two more.
I hope to go in search of them one day soon.




For more Friday Home Town participants click here.

25 comments:

Andrea said...

Love that sign...what a crazy place indeed! And I love the story about the tree spirits...amazing photos as usual!! :)

NanU said...

Those tree faces are really neat!
And the sign for everything - looks like the American south, where guns & hot dogs are ubiquitous - makes me all nostalgic for home. not that I ever lived in the south.

Bagman and Butler said...

I want to go hunt tree faces.

SusanD said...

The billboard is great. What a crazy place that must be. The "tree spirits" is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Barry said...

The faces in the trees are amazing! Incongruous to be sure, but amazing.

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for sponsoring Sophie in the Terry Fox Run, Gigi! It is very much appreciated!! :)

Heather said...

Looks like they're trying to lure the guys in with that first sign :)

I really like the faces in the tree's! Neato.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The sign is a hoot! The tree spirits are fascinating. Don't you like local folklore. It's so interesting.

Unknown said...

Hot dogs and guns, faces in trees...what kind of crazy place is this...uba-incongruous!

Carrie said...

That's one crazy sign. The shot of the tree lined street is beautiful.
The tree carvings are neat.

Kristina P. said...

Those faces are so cool!

Zaroga said...

Great post, Gigi.

I can't remember how many of the faces there are... we found all but one, but think that is because it was on private property. There is a brochure that tells where is each is located. It is fun searching them out.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those faces are amazing.

Gordon said...

I love tree, especially those with a face! Great stuff.

Kerry said...

The tree faces are beautiful. And I really like that first sign (they have everything-what else would you need?) Also enjoyed last week's signs!

J9 said...

I love the faces, what a great idea!

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm with B&B.... I'm all for a tree spirit hunt! It would be good to know more about St. Simon's Island.
Your whole presentation is incongruous to me because the great minds that put the ideas together for the tree spirits had nothing to do with establishing the crazy store (so opposite)... right? What a thoughtful, well put together post. I'm going to google St. Simon's Island, (really fascinating) and I may never go near that store you found. Seriously.=D

kate sweeten said...

I've always wanted to know where I could go to get bait and car audio parts all in one stop! Those faces are really cool...at first, I thought I was just crazy because it looked like a face.

Pauline said...

Any place with tree spirits is a place I'd like to be. Would love to go hunting tree faces! Beautiful tree shots.

Anonymous said...

Great post and take on the theme. I'll be visiting St Simons in February. My sister lives there.

Kerri said...

the tree faces are truly amazing. thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

these are great!! good job!

GingerV said...

these are great, tree faces, remember wizard of oz, didn't they have trees with faces?

Mikki said...

oh wow! I think it would be wonderful to go searching for those tree sprites. What a wonderful area you live in.

Mikki said...

oops tree spirits. :P