THE MOST COMMON PRECANCER
More than Ten Million
This figure is generally accepted as the best current estimate of the number of Americans with actinic keratosis (AK). People with a fair complexion, blond or red hair, (I guess that I am both, dark blond when my hair isn't dyed Red) and blue, green or grey eyes, (depending what I am wearing my eyes are either blue or green) have a high likelihood of developing one or more of these common precancers if they spend time in the sun and live long enough. Location makes a difference: The closer to the equator you live, the more likely you are to have actinic keratoses.
Well, I was born and reared in Florida and that is sort of close to the equator.
I spent a whole lot of time on the beach and in the sun.
So now I am paying for it :(
Today I had 11 actinic keratosis frozen off with liquid nitrogen and one skin
tag cut off and sent into the lab to be tested.
I am now doing this every 6 months.
It's not near as fun as basking in the sun covered with baby oil that had been mixed with iodine.
Hey you, use S.U.N.S.C.R.E.E.N.!!!!

11 comments:
I have the same skin problems. The dermatologist has dinged me in several places. More times than I care to count. Now, I use sunscreen. Especially when I'm going to be out on my motorcycle. Hope the blisters aren't too big and that you're feeling better soon. Blessings, SusanD
I HATE seeing the dermatologist come in carrying that horrible canister! So far my nose and forehead have been the victims! Maybe that's what happens because I have a big nose that's always in the sun! :)
Sunscreen is the perfect anti-aging secret too!
I hope you're doing OK. It's not pleasant to have that done and it takes a while for it to heal.
Take care. ♥♥♥♥♥
My dad was blonde and fair skinned and had so many skin problems as a result from years of working in the sun. Seeing him suffer sure made an impact on all of our family. Hope you feel better soon. No fun to visit the dermatologist. Keep us posted.
Amen sista! I live in the Artic circle and I've had a couple of those babies "burned/frozen" off as well.
Oh, for the days of tanning and seeing who is the darkest. Ya.
Heeelllllooooo wrinkles!
I could use a little sun right now though. I've had it with January.
I did the same things and have spent a quarter of a century telling our daughters to take precautions-- we live 5 minutes from the beach--and I was careful when they were growing up but not sure they continued as they got older. So sorry you're having to go through this!
Amen!! I am a Cali-girl and former Sun Goddess and now I am paying for it with more brown spots showing up every year - Yuck!
I'll be watching for these icky things and I am glad that you got yours frozen off.
I am going to be in trouble!!
I use to "fake bake" all through my high school days.. and I am scared.
I use sunscreen now.. but I'm not as good as I should be..
Thanks for the reminder!!!
I need to get to the dermotologist. I have the same fair skin, eyes and hair. Several childhood burns, tons of freckles.....ugh!
Hope all your results come back with good news!
And my boys wonder why I am always spraying them down with the stuff.
A good reminder to everyone! Even we olive-complected brunettes get skin damage from the sun.
I so remeber the baby oil days. And we would lay out on the car with a hose to keep us cool....
Sad that I miss it? Yes, I am pathetic
Post a Comment