Tricolored Heron, St. Augustine, Fl. 3/30/10 Note the blue bill, it's mating season.
I almost missed this beautiful bird, I was looking in the other direction and just happened to turn around.
I almost missed this beautiful bird, I was looking in the other direction and just happened to turn around.
Tricolored Herons are medium sized wading birds with slate blue feathers on most of their body except for a white chest and belly, and rust-colored neck with white stripe. They have long, yellowish colored legs and a long pointed yellow bill which turns blue during breeding season. Also known as the Louisiana Heron, they can be found in marshes, swamps, bayous, mudflats, lagoons and coastal ponds from Florida up the Atlantic coast to Maine, around the Gulf Coast to New Mexico and ranging south to northern South America and the West Indies.
The Tricolored Heron is an extremely slender bird, and moves gracefully about as it searches for fish, insects and frogs. Despite their relatively small size, they often forage in deep water with their legs completely underwater, giving the appearance that the bird is swimming.
The Tricolored Heron is an extremely slender bird, and moves gracefully about as it searches for fish, insects and frogs. Despite their relatively small size, they often forage in deep water with their legs completely underwater, giving the appearance that the bird is swimming.
10 comments:
Great shot of this magnificent bird. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD
That is beautiful.
I love when I am sitting here wasting time on my computer and actually use something.
Now when hubby asks what I did today I'm going to give him a Blue Heron lesson.
I love the picture! You are most amazing and are still on my bucket list.
We need to meet!
What a gorgeous bird.
Interesting about the Blue Bill. when in mating season.
UM---------forgive me,
but maybe it is in correlation to BLUE B....---on guys????
I know, my mind works in mysterious ways.
Fabulous shot Gigi! And I didn't know that about the blue bills :D
I'm never disappointed when I look at your pictures of wildlife and scenery in your part of the country. Beautiful picture. Thanks for the info on Herons. I didn't know.
Beautiful bird! Great shot Gigi!
Nice photography, like looking at National Geography magazine, beautiful and informative.
Your photography is improving all the time.
Love you,
Daddy
Great Shot! - enjoyed the info too. Love Florida for it's beaches rivers lakes and birds!
Was thinking just that coming back from beach the other day when a huge white heron flew out of a ditch and over the car on 206.
This is beautiful!
Post a Comment