And then you take those apples to the house and wonder how in all the world you are going to peal, core and slice all those apples you bought in Ellijay.
Just run right over to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy yourself one of those handy Apple Peelers and get to crackin.
Apple Pie Filling
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup corn starch
1 tsp. nutmeg
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
Put first 5 ingredients in a large pan. Stir together. Add 10 cups water. Cook until thick. Add food coloring and lemon juice. Remove from heat. This is usually enough to cover 6 to 7 quarts of apples.
Fill the quart jars with the slices. Really push them in tight. Pour sauce over the apples in the jar. It may take a while for the thickened sauce to ooze over the apple slices. Do it one jar at a time so the apples don't darken. Place lids and rings on the jars and process in a water bath for 20 minutes. One jar makes an 8 inch pie. Can also be used for apple cobblers, topping for ice cream, or just out of the jar!
This recipe was copied from Connie's blog but the same recipe was in my little booklet that came with the apple peeler.
Thank you Connie

12 comments:
Now I want to see some apple pies! ...oh, my feelings wouldn't be hurt either if you sent one my way ;-)
I used mine last night! Great invention!!
This is a cute post. I don't even know how to core and peel an apple without one of those handy little peelers. I always buy my apples from costco....you know the ones that are already sliced and in individual bags. Hahha. Seriously.
I would love to wander around in that apple orchard/market whatever it's called. Sounds like fun.
Oh, and did you already core, peel, slice and can all of those apples? Whew! I hope you enjoy it. :) Wish I could help you out, you know....with the finished product. haha.
My mom used to have one of those peelers. We thought it was so cool!
I soooo love my apple peeler! greatest invention evah! (next to the magic eraser of course)
I need to get for sure. I know the apple pie filling is delicious. Enjoy!
Did you get them all done yet? If I was your neighbor I would come over and help you.
Looks yummy.
Mmm, apple pie. I've got lots of Bramleys from my mum and dad's tree that I need to use, so apple pie it is!
I don't have a peeler, but I do have a corer and slicer (a metal thing that you push down onto the apple) which makes it much easier to eat an apple without getting the peel stuck in your teeth!
I love my peeler! It is a great invention and I could not live without it at holidays just for this reason...Apple pies!
I don't can or bottle stuff but yours looks beautiful :D
I purchased one of those from Pampered Chef years ago....love it! Def speeds up apple pie making. :) Blessings, SusanD
Well I sure wish I read this post BEFORE I spent five hours peeling apples today! I'm not kidding. I canned 12 quarts of very labor intensive applesauce today so your post made me smile.
way to go, but no thank you not for me!!
My in-law's have an apple peeler and it is so cool!!!
Post a Comment