This is the male Painted Bunting.
This is the female Painted Bunting.
They're Back!!!
I have bird feeders in my front yard and back yard. I love bird watching. I've taught the girls to watch and listen to the birds as they visit the feeders. It's breeding season for the Painted Buntings and they are back! They are beautiful. I saw both a male and a female out the back window today and a male on the front feeders. It just makes me so excited to see them here.
Male Painted Buntings are the most spectacularly colored of all North American songbirds, with a gaudy combination of red, blue, and green feathers. His head and nape are blue. Back shiny green. Rump, throat, chest, flanks, belly, and under tail coverts red. Eye ring red. Wings and tail dark gray. The females crown, nape, and back are rather bright olive-green. Throat, chest, and belly yellow-green. Her head may show some blue feathers. I just love them and wanted to share them with all of yall!
Note to self:
do not look away while cutting
husbands sideburns!! Opps!


4 comments:
Thanks for sharing them with us, they are beautiful, Heavenly Father did a great job when He created them.
I have a bird story from yesterday.
We have two peach trees in our back yard. I noticed last year that our peaches were disappearing even before they rippend. Then this season that same thing happended. One day I went out the back door and saw the culpret. A gray squirl was taking the peaches and in a few days he had stripped both trees. Well, I said to myself that I'll fix that little fellow. So I got me one of those large rat traps, baited it with a green peach a put it on a post next to the peach tree. The rascal was pretty smart. He would push the trap off the post and when it hit the ground it would throw the trap. That went on about 4 or 5 times. So I nailed the trap to the post. Yesterday morning Janice said go look at what you caught in your rat trap. It was a beautiful Jay Bird. ALAS !!!
Love,
Papa
Bwahahahahahaha - - My husband will not allow me anywhere near him with sharp instruments.
I love my backyard birds. My least favorite bird is the blue jay and when I see him being chased by the tiny sparrows, I laugh and root for the sparrows. As much as I dislike the bawdy, rowdy, quarrelsome blue jay, I would never wish on him the untimely demise that that beautiful bird came to.
I am grateful that it was not one of my beloved mockingbirds. I do believe, as Atticus Finch says, "It is a SIN to kill a mockingbird."
Hugs, Love and Prayers,
mum
What is wrong with your page? I can't see anything. That is a sad story that my typed ... I thought she was going to outwit the squirl.
Post a Comment