
I love seeing clothes hanging on the line and blowing in the breeze. Does anyone hang clothes any more? I grew up hanging clothes out doors on a clothes line line. My parents didn't own a clothes dryer until after I left home for college. Mama was very picky about how we were to hang clothes. There was a certain way we were taught to hang our clothes on the line and if we didn't hang them right, mama would send us back out to re-hang them correctly. When the clothes were dry, we took them down and folded each piece as we went along so that when we were finished we had a basket full of nicely folded laundry. That made the ironing so much easier. Ironing, that's a whole other post. When I was first married we had both a clothes line and a clothes dryer. I did hang about half my laundry. I can't remember when I quit hanging clothes outdoors. I guess I don't miss it in this busy world I live in.
13 comments:
I remember we had a clothesline in the backyard and we used it sometimes. My friend's family hung all of their laundry and I got the biggest kick out of helping them hang the laundry.
I only hang dry clothes that I know won't fit if I put them in the dryer. I usually just hang those items over my kitchen chairs to dry in my morning room since I don't have a line. I agree...iron is a whole other story
We had a line at my house growing up. Nobody ever wanted to use a towel from the line since it was stiff. I hang clothes on racks around the house but not outside. ON my mission in Chile I hung all my clothes and it didn't always work out so well. We were in constant fear of our clothes being stolen, plus one time some dogs got them off the line. I'll stick with a drier!
You should have taken a picture of the old close line posts in the back yard. They have been there as long as I can remember.
once I married I didn't have a dryer for several years. Fortunately I have had one now for several. We recently decided to invest in a clothes line due to soaring electric bills... when we told the children about the change they laughed and thought we were kidding...haha
I wish I had a clothes line!
There is nothing like the joy of a line of freshly washed, drying clothes and laundry (sheets, towels, rugs). I used a lot of downy etc. in the towels to get them soft. We didn't have dryer til way after all you five children flew the nest. I can pin the time down within a year of getting a dryer -- and I really didn't need or want one then, but my brother phil had two or three and needed to sell a couple. So I bought one for $50.00 A Maytag heavy duty. You all remember their commercial don't you? "The lonliest man in town - the Maytag repair man" SO TRUE! We bought the dryer about 1995-6 used and have had it repaired once - a belt, 4-5 years ago and it's still running - better than the "Energizing bunny".
After getting the dryer I hung towels and sheets and most times jeans until a few years ago.
Since my clothes line fell apart I lament not having one, but alas, you do what you gotta do! (o;)
Hugs, Love & Prayers Always, mama
PS - The only time I detested hanging clothes was when you were a baby and we lived in Goldsboro, North Carolina, when papa was in the Air Force. That winter was tough on this Florida girl! of 20-21, I'd bundled up to go out to hang your diapers. Wind blowing, nose and hands freezing, I never could work with gloves on even washing dishes. I'd hang a line of diapers. By the time I got to the end of the first line the diapers back at the start were frozen stiff.!!!
That's really the only time I wisdhed for a dryer - but only the rich hadthe back then. Thank goodness we just had gotten a washer on pymts from Sears. For several months we-Daddy washed our clothes in the bath tub on a scrubboard!!!
Hugs, Love & Prayers again, mama
I can remember hanging clothes on the clothesline. I grew with only a washer, no dryer. I do miss those days sometimes. Maybe I'll talk my husband into pitching me a clothesline in the backyard next summer.
Nothing like the fresh smell of sheets and pillow cases dried in the sun, hhhmmmmmm and so clean.
Love,
Papa
I still peg out when the weather allows, much more eco friendly.
I too was taught the correct way to peg - always from the waist!
A line of fresh washing was always a source of pride round our way, wonder if it still is?
The image of clothes hanging on the line and blowing in the wind sends my into a 'Charles Martin'-type-story... dreamy! Maybe I will give it a try...maybe. I must say though, that I do love my front loaders! T-D-I-L Jordan
I love to use my solar powered dryer when I can. Usually just towels, sheets, blankets, jeans and heavy material. I love to save on my power bill and being "green"
;o) c.a.
Post a Comment